Knowing how much I absolutely LOVE anything softball, it's been music to my ears to hear Trey getting all pumped up and excited about his games. As a mother, I obviously want my children to find something they love and something that keeps them focused and on the right track. Maybe it will be sports, maybe it won't be, but either way....staying involved is a great way to learn life skills and that inner drive.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this 6 and under coaches pitch season...especially considering that Trey's initial reaction was NOT excitement. His exact words were, "I don't want to play baseball! I just wish I was old so I could be lazy!!"
Ugh!!! My initial thought was, "Oh no, he's never going to want to play!" and I would have put money on the fact that this entire season was going to be a battle. But, being the determined person I am, I just had to expose him to this game. Up to this point, he'd only played 3 year-old T-ball and a little Smart Start program where we (him & I) practiced skills in a rotation setting. No actual game action and I couldn't let him not get a chance to play some "real" games. After that, the decision would be (mainly) his!!!
Needless to say...I've been proven wrong and the second Trey saw that other kindergartners he knew were playing on his team and against his team, he was SOLD!
Since that second...he's been pumped about every game, has done his best to hustle and listen to his coaches, has learned to "get ready" for the ball in the field, and has managed to quickly figure out that it's much easier to put his glove and hat together in the same spot while he's hitting, if he plans on finding them again!
He hasn't complained one time and I'm super pumped that I went ahead and signed him up despite his initial not "wanting to play" attitude!!! We are only two games into the season and I know there's the possibility he might change his mind in the future....but I just hope it's not before he learns to love the game...I LOVE WATCHING HIM PLAY!!!!
Here's a little shot of his first official at-bat as a ball player!!! (Believe it or not, I really had set the mini Mom-goal of not barking advice from the stands....which I fell waaaaaay short of meeting!!) Oh well, he'll just have to get used to it!!!
Way to go, Trey Man!!! Contact and a nice hustle down the line!!! (Tay made the video, too....she's the one that decided to tug my shirt off my shoulder mid video shoot. Yes, I am telling her "No!" in the background ;)
Waiting for his turn to bat....GO #6!!! (The tee is all ready if they aren't successful hitting the coach's pitches....) Trey's only needed to use the tee once, which is something he's totally proud of!!!
At the end of his first game...definitely proud of himself!!!
Shaking hands...."Good Game!"
Trey Man....Keep up the fabulous work and always remember the two BIG rules: Have FUN and HUSTLE! I'm so proud of you and all the progress you are making. Remember to always give things a chance and give 110%! You'll find something you absolutely love and I'll be here supporting you all the way!! Go Yankees!!! And, to answer your most recent question....YES! You can play again next summer!
I love you bunches and bunches!!
~Mommy
PS....I LOVE the fact that you asked me that question!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment