Background

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Graduation Day!

So, my first official year teaching in the Des Moines area is coming to an end. In fact, tomorrow is my last day and marks graduation day for my 5th graders. I have thoroughly enjoyed this group of kids and their awesome, supportive, and involved parents. I couldn't have asked for a better way to continue on with my teaching career....especially considering how much I liked teaching in Ottumwa and how hard totally re-locating jobs can be. It's been an EXTREMELY stress-free year and I learned a tremendous amount from this new group of students. Writing them their congrats letter was a breeze and definitely included one of my FAVORITE quotes from good old Dr. Seuss...

  "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And, YOU are the one who will decided where you'll go!"

This quote (in a Dr. Seuss kind of way) sums up parts of my teaching philosophy...life is definitely about the choices you make and the way you react to what happens to you. It's absolutely heart-warming to see my students becoming advocates for themselves and learning from all the ins & outs of everyday experiences! They are a tremendous group of students.

So, tonight, the kids and I had fun putting together these little goody graduation caps. I actually think they turned out cute and are going to be a hit tomorrow in class....


Hopefully they will be able to tell what they are...LOL!


Ty working on a little tassel making herself....


They were more excited about the fact that they were going to get to try one of their own....silly kids!!! Who says there's anything wrong with sneaking Reeses Pieces?!?!

Thanks, Munchkins, for all your help. You two have a wonderful way of making all the things on my "to-do" list that much more fun! What a great, goody graduation cap-making team we are!!! I know my students will love hearing that you helped make those little fun things...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys have a few handmade thank-you cards waiting for you when I pick you up tomorrow afternoon....


1 comment:

  1. Love those creative treats Julie! :) Can't believe you have been teaching there a year already...glad you had a good year! Enjoy the summer with those cute kids of yours. Tell Jason hi!

    ReplyDelete