Background

Monday, April 29, 2013

Grandma Jean...


Dearest Grandma Jean,

I know you are up there looking down over all of us with a huge smile across your face. You are smilin’ because you are able to see all us gathered here to celebrate. Celebrate your life. Celebrate the blessing that you have been to ALL of us. Celebrate the love that you and Grandfather have instilled in every one of us. This is a true celebration.

As I grow older myself, I’m realizing that this one life is really all that we get. It’s busy, beautiful, and blessed. I know I’ve been spoiled having such AMAZING grandparents, as not every kid gets to grow up with that kind of love and unconditional support. Trust me, I count those blessings every single day. Blessings that will stay with me FOREVER and blessings that I aim high to give to my own little ones. Blessings that, I hope, one day they will be able to share with my grandchildren, because above all, above all the money and material things in this world, love is what makes things go round. Love and family are two of the many values you displayed on a continual basis. And, I want to THANK YOU for being such an amazing role model. A role model whose impact has trickled down every single branch on this huge family tree of ours, eventually leading to all of those beautiful great-grandkids of yours and beyond.

So, THANK YOU!

Thank you for ALWAYS being there to support me. From the stands at just about every stinkin’ one of my hundreds of softball games, watching and cheering, to every single Christmas celebration filled with the warmth of home and smiles and laughter that gave me memories I will never, ever forget. From our little, entertaining, once-a-year comical cousin skits to the kid friendly games that my little ones loved being a part of. From high school and college graduation ceremonies, to baby quilts capturing all that special, little newborn information. From birthday cards sent to each and every one of those always changing addresses, to “Goldies” that my kiddos had the opportunity to drop into their own little piggy banks, with thoughts of Great Grandma Jean & Grandfather on their minds. From long distance phone calls, just saying “HI,” to the annual grandkid ornaments that will FOREVER hang on our Christmas tree. From hotel room sharing and story swapping at the Get Busy Livin’ events, to those Kodak moments you let me capture of you holding each and every one of my little babies. From opening your heart and accepting Jason as one of us, to those daffodils that will forever bloom in your memory. From Arrowhead tailgating to that crystal, engraved “communication” bell that will forever remind me to stride towards living a life full of all the qualities you embodied.

So, I need to say farewell for now, with our last moments together bringing a smile to my face. Moments that were good for my soul. Moments that make me a better Mommy. Moments that make me a better person.  The moment you and Ty played “balloon” from your chair. The moment you wiggled those toes when I asked you if you wanted a foot massage. The moment you said you’d have to “consider it” when I said I charged a lot for those massages. The moment we snapped our last picture together. The moment Dad fed you ice chips and au jus with at least three different spoons, thanks to Aunt Jan searching for the one that worked the best. The moment Grandfather got those tears in his eyes as he watched you take a drink. The moment his love for you couldn’t have gotten any stronger. The moment we crossed paths with Uncle Denny and Aunt Val as we were leaving, stopping for a quick hug, but knowing that you had more love and support headed in to pick up right where we left off.

I love you so much Grandma Jean and will miss you physically being around when we all get together, especially on April 27th. But, I won’t miss your spirit because I know it will never be far away. So, go now, grab Dylan, Grandma Meier, and everyone else you’re seeing again for the first time in a long time, give them a big hug around the neck from all of us and smile. Smile having confidence in the footprints you are leaving behind. For those footprints will forever lead us in the right direction.



1 comment:

  1. Julie thank you so much for sharing this. Your letter is something I hope to cherish for the rest of my life. You were able to express emotions and words right to grandma that I could never muster up myself the way you so beautifully did. So thank you, for being so brave to share such a personal message to grandma. I feel the exact same way, and that universality to all us grands is what makes this truly beautiful because we all embody these values. What an amazing family we have been blessed with! it's a grateful day....

    ReplyDelete