Background

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Egg TIME.....

Who doesn't have fond memories of dyeing Easter eggs?? That LOVELY smell of vinegar and the, "Be careful, don't knock over the cup of dye," warnings!! Those are about the ONLY two "not so fun" things that can be associated with such a fun, family activity!

My brothers and I looked forward to coloring and decorating our eggs every year a few days or so before Easter weekend. Not only did our eggs turn out AWESOME (in our eyes), but there were always LOTS and LOTS of laughs and good memories associated with this activity. Now-a-days, I absolutely love hard boiled eggs (only if the yellow is taken out....I've NEVER been a fan of the yolk....ugh! Especially if it was runny!!! Ewww...) But, back then, those hard boiled eggs weren't so popular. I remember my mom always putting our colored eggs on the edge of our plates in the few days following the dyeing activities, hoping that we'd peel them and eat them up. Day after day, they ended up being the only thing that was left on the plate...never getting their moment of glory, ending up back in the fridge. Fortunately, my kids (especially Trey) love eating hard boiled eggs, so, between me and them, the eggs will have no problem getting eaten up!!!

Regardless of what was to come of the eggs after we dyed them, we ALWAYS had a blast coloring them together and I'm glad to say that Trey & Tylee continued the tradition yesterday afternoon....and, I also have to tell you that I did utter those famous words, "Be careful, don't knock over the cups," many times! I guess it comes with the territory, especially with a four and two-year old!!!


Ready to begin....


Tylee using her white crayon to create a design...this was always my favorite part!! Such a surprise to see how it turns out!!! (It was cute watching her switch the egg and crayon back and forth between her right and left hand, not sure which way to hold them....until she settled on the method above!!)


So much for setting the egg into the cup....GENTLY!! I'm still shocked the egg actually made it into the cup and the cup didn't go tumbling!!


Trey decorating his with the crayon....and, writing his own name on it!!!


Trey dropping it in the green....the color he chose for Daddy's egg!!! Tylee in the background ready to drop another egg "bomb!" (She obviously still wasn't getting the whole "gentle" aspect...either that or she just preferred this technique to the one I suggested! I'm going with the latter...)


Trey checking out his masterpiece!!!


Tylee showing off her masterpiece....



Giving me a little cheesin' action while patiently waiting for her eggs to change colors....


All done and showing off their eggs....


Go Crazy, Folks!!! (They love silly shots...)


So proud and the beginning of a wonderful Easter tradition.....

Great job you two!! I enjoyed sitting back and watching you two have fun, laugh, and create beautifully colored eggs!!! I'm happy to report that we did not have any spilled cups and the mess was minimal!! (Although, you know we would have just cleaned up the mess and continued on, like we always do!) You two are now all ready to teach your little sister and let her join in when this time rolls around again next year!!! Can't wait!!!      

Next Up....A visit with the EASTER BUNNY!!!                                                  

2 comments:

  1. I remember dying easter eggs julie where is the mess happy easter to all love yall grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that too, Dad...and hiding them!! You always had the BEST hiding places!! Will miss you this Easter, but looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple weeks and Dylan's 5K! Love you LOTS!!!

    ReplyDelete