Friday started off with a little trip to the gym and then off to (what I expected to be a QUICK) trip to the Driver's License Bureau for a driver's license address change. Uh, it was a COMPLETELY opposite of QUICK trip visit. First we drove around the parking lot TWICE to find a parking spot, which is NEVER a good, "This is going to be quick," sign. But, after driving 20 minutes and having this specific task on my to-do list for the past YEAR, I thought I'd just stick with it and get it done! After waiting in line, with all three kids, for 10 minutes, I finally reached the "desk helper" only to realize that she'd give me a clipboard and pencil and send me on my way to the "waiting" area.
When there's a wait to get INTO the waiting area, it's NEVER a good sign....
Since my mind was already made up, I decided to stick it out and WAIT. Mind you, the Dum-Dums that were supposed to keep the kids occupied (which I found in the bottom of my purse once I realized we had to step into a waiting line) had already been completely sucked down to the stick by this point. (I actually told them to see who could suck their sucker down the slowest...just to burn a few minutes...it worked, but I wished I would have had those HUGE rainbow carnival-type lollipops instead. Ha!)
So, we walked into the waiting area to find that there were NO CHAIRS left, so the kiddos and I quickly settled down on the floor, but were told twice that we had to move due to safety reasons. We finally settled against a wall in the most "safe" place I could find.
Once settled in, Taylen quickly realized that she wanted out of the stroller and wanted to tell the whole room about it. Remember that road trip car screech?!? Well, she found it again and apparently felt the need to be LOUDER than usual. Ty wanted to look at a book, which, LUCKILY Trey had in the back of the van and, THANKFULLY, I made him bring it in, "just in case!" Ty settled down nicely, on her belly, with her legs sprawled out and looked at all the pictures.
I put Trey in charge of watching the numbers at the front counter...we were number 691 and his job was to keep me posted on what numbers they were helping. He started watching at number 642! His first response was, "We have to wait a lot of numbers, Mommy!" Even a six-year old quickly figured out that we were in for a looooong wait! He did a great job watching, but 32 minutes later, he informed me that he was tired of his "job" and that they were only on number 650....poor kid! So he decided to join Ty....
Ty pointed out the pictures and Trey read the words...then they would stop for cute little conversations!!! Thank goodness for that Diary of a Wimpy Kid book that was left in the car from the Gulf Shores trip!!!
Someone must have been listening to Tay's little form of communication because as soon as Trey joined Ty, THREE more stations opened up and the numbers started rolling by a little faster. The kids read a little longer and then took turns "strolling" Taylen around in circles to keep her happy.
And, before we knew it, Mommy had a new picture taken and a temporary license issued....never mind the worn down circle of carpet from at least 100 trips around waiting area!!!
Thanks, kiddos for being so cooperative....and YAY! for getting something else crossed off my summer to-do list....You're the BEST!
PS....We stopped at the library and one of the librarians told me that there's another office just right around the corner from our house. OOPS!!!!! We will have to remember that if we ever move again!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment