Background

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Little Weekend Fun....

The past few days have been crazy around the Weite House, with parent/teacher conferences for the Ottumwa School District and all. I had them scheduled all last night over at the middle school and Jason's up at the high school tonight. (Then we both have them Thursday night...fun, fun!!) Needless to say, we've both gotten a chance to play the single parent role and it's times like these that one realizes how much we do appreciate the other!! (It's amazing how far emptying the dishwasher, throwing in a load of laundry, and wiping down the kitchen counters really can go!!) I'm lucky that my partner in crime pitches in around the house and helps with the "little things!" You are much appreciated, honey!!

But, leading up to this new week, we got a chance to spend a little time up in West Des Moines with Jason's parents. Trey & Tylee absolutely LOVE visiting family and always have a great time at Grandma Marcia and Papa Ken's house. It was great to see them...it's been a while since we celebrated Christmas and it was nice to be able to relax without all the Holiday Hoopla! Below is a little re-cap of the fun (and one NOT-so-fun) time....


Tylee giving Grandma Marcia big hugs when we arrived!!


Cheese, Please!!


Trey getting a little trim (okay, a BIG trim)...his hair was outta control!!!


Goofball...but cooperative!!!


The after shot...with a little gel action!!!


Tylee being silly while waiting for her "haircut"....she really wanted one, so we pretended to cut it. BUT, there was no way I was letting her get a cut-those bangs have some growing to do!!



Kids watching "How to Train Your Dragon" and heading to bed. They were all geared up for Saturday and a little Chuck E. Cheese action!!! (SUPER CUTE movie!!!!)

((Before I go any further, I would like to share with you the SCARIEST moment of my life, which just happened to occur on Saturday afternoon....

After nap, Jason, Marcia, Trey, Tylee and I all headed to Hu-Hot to celebrate Marcia's birthday. Oh, so I thought...

While in the car on the way there, Trey stuck his finger up his nose (to find the SNAIL that his father told him was up there...thanks to a "Where the Sidewalk Ends" poem) Well...his finger sticking incident resulted in a little blood and I didn't have any tissues....

We pulled into the parking space at Hu-Hot and as we are parking Jason proceeds to tell Trey that his nose was bleeding because he poked a hole in his brain. (In good father humor, of course!) Who hasn't told their kid that?? We all walk into Hu-Hot, where there is a 30 minute wait (at 2:00 in the afternoon...weird!) and I take Trey back to the bathroom to wash up. While in there, he washes his hands and I wipe his VERY SMALL amount of blood off the edge of his nostril....

The WHOLE time he is asking me if he really has a hole in his brain. I proceed to tell him at least 10 times that Daddy was just kidding and that can't really happen. We grab a paper towel to dry our hands off and Trey then looks at me, turns white, and tells me he's going to PUKE. I quickly usher him into the first stall where his legs give out from under him and his face falls onto the public toilet seat......germs were the least of my worries at that point!!

I try to lift his head up and see that his eyes are rolled back...I give him a couple nice slaps on the cheek and tell him to talk to me...he's grunting and mumbling the whole time about how he wants to go to sleep.....

At this exact moment, Jason's Mom comes into the bathroom with Miss Tylee (who's doing a great job with her big girl undies, by the way) to go pee-pee. I tell her she needs to go get Jason and that something is not right with Trey. She says she will after she takes Tylee potty and proceeds to take her into the stall next to us. (Marcia didn't realize how serious I was, but when a newly potty trained two year old has to go potty, she has to go potty!!)

I hoist Trey up over my big belly and shoulder and quickly carry him out to find Jason....Trey's still white as a ghost and his lips have NO color...but, his eyes are slightly open. I tell Jason something is wrong and IMMEDIATELY start crying. Jason takes Trey from me tries to talk to him outside. I am crying and saying that we need to call an ambulance. Trey's shoe falls off and he doesn't say a word about it....which is not like him.

People are coming in and out of Hu-Hot watching me cry and hearing Jason tell me to CALM DOWN. (I was NOT calm at this point...there was not a CALM bone in my body!) Some random lady even tries to give him glucose tablets.....

Before I can dial 9-1-1, Jason's mom come out with Tylee and I am like "Something is wrong, we need to call the ambulance!" Trey is still white and Marcia says we can get him to the Urgent Care Center FASTER than the ambulance can come get him. I agree and we all pile into Jason's car. I'm in the front holding Trey, trying to control my own shaking, and trying to keep him alert. Marcia is in the back with Tylee sitting on top of the seat because she didn't have a chance to push the seat down and Jason is trying to drive (with all the TRAFFIC) about 1 mile to the Urgent Care Center!!! It was AWFUL!

I'm asking Trey if he needs a drink and how he feels...he's not really saying anything and his lips are still white. All I'm thinking is blood sugar issues...pulse felt fine, but I didn't know what else to check. I asked him if he wanted something to eat....all I had in my purse was a little bag of trail mix from a work meeting weeks before (of course, I had eaten all the chocoolate pieces out of it...those are the best part) but it would have to do. He chewed up three raisins and then I hear in a soft, little Trey voice, "Mommy, can I have a peanut?"...

You don't know how sweet those few little words sounded. I gave him a peanut and we pulled into the Urgent Care Center. Jason carried him in and I filled out paper work. They actually got us in pretty quick...thanks Marcia...

Jason and I went back with Trey and the Doc and, 10 minutes later, we were walking out. Apparently it was a reaction to nose bleed...the doctor had some fancy name for it and told me to just give him a few pinches if it ever happened again and that everything was fine. There were no blood sugar or other issues to worry about....

At this point, I'm still getting all emotional, Trey is smiling, and the doctor is patting me on the shoulder telling me to "call him if I NEED anything." He even told us to still go to Chuck E Cheese and that everything was perfect!!!

WOW...what an emotional roller coaster!!! So, lesson learned...no picking noses and no poking holes in the brain!!!))

Now on with the picture fun....



Jason and Marcia at Texas Road House...where we ended up going because there was NO WAY we were headed back to Hu-Hot!!! (And, I'll probably never go there again, anyway!!)


Trey on Marcia's birthday saddle...less than an hour after the Urgent Care visit!! Marcia was a trooper and got on while everyone did the birthday song for her. I have a picture of her on it, but that's for her. She wasn't too thrilled with Jason for telling them it was her birthday in the first place!!!


Chuck E. Cheese time....(the next day) because Saturday evening just happened to be when EVERY kid in Des Moines had planned a birthday party and we couldn' t even get in without a 45 minute wait. Note to the rest of you....Sunday at 9 AM is the PERFECT time to make a Chuck E. Cheese run. No lines, no waiting and easy access to all games!! In and out in less than 2 hours!!


Tylee being silly...haivng a ball, as usual!!


Firegirl to the rescue!!


Tylee and Barney....Cheesin' it up!!!


Resting Up....Leapster Time before we headed back to Ottuwma to watch the Packers win the Super Bowl!!

THANKS, PaPa Ken & Grandma Marcia, for letting us come up and take over the house for 2 1/2 days! We had a blast, loved spending time with you guys, and can't wait until we get to do it again. (Just think...there will soon be another grandkid added to the mix-even that much more fun, fun!!!) Love you guys!!!

PS...I have TOTALLY learned that I'm NOT good in SCARY situations...thanks, Jason, for staying so calm and, Trey, I am so glad you are okay!! No more fingers up the nose, got-it? Your momma doesn't need anymore scares like that!! LOVE YOU!!!


1 comment:

  1. Holy cow Julie. Made me teary reading your account! What a nightmare, thank God it turned into a small problem. Wow!

    ReplyDelete