Background

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Another first..

for Miss Ty!! 

Yesterday's trip to the pool marked the first time Ty has jumped off the diving board!! Woot!!! 

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, jumping off the diving board at the pool was sort of like a write-of-passage! You were now a real big kid & could pretty much conquer the world! I know it's a big deal for every kid, but I honestly didn't think she'd be at this point already. I was thinking more of a, "I'm in second grade" write-of-passage moment and not a "I don't even start kindergarten for another four weeks" moment!!! She's growing up soooo quickly!! But, I can't hold her back...if she says she's ready, then I have to learn to loosen the reigns just a (little) bit.

So, after getting measured to make sure she was taller than the 48" requirement, she doned her blue bracelet & hit the deep end. I stood by and made her prove she could swim in the deeper waters & showed her exactly which direction she'd swim after she hit the water. She said she was ready....

In cute fashion she claimed the steps, basically snail-paced it to the end of the board, immediately started biting her nails & looked at me with that' "I'm scared outta my mind!" look. I gave her a thumbs up & told her to only jump if she wanted to and that turning back was an option. Ty did turn around and walk back away from the water & the end of the board. But, before climbing down, she turned around again and headed towards the end of the board. She looked at me and smiled & said she was going to do it...

About 10 seconds & a face & belly flop later, I watched her swim to the side of the pool holding back tears that flooded out once she reached the ladder & climbed out of the pool. 

In her typical Tylee way, the sobs ended, she wiped her eyes, and told me she was going to do it again. This time we talked about doing a "pencil jump" and making sure that she jumped into the water FEET  first....

And, guess what...the second time (and the next hundred times) were exactly what she imagined when she first walked out on that board....



Way to go, Tylee!!! I'm so proud of you and so blessed to be able to be right there with you as you experience another first!! Love you to the moon and back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment