Background

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Patio is in Progress...

but it's looking a THOUSAND times better and we are thoroughly enjoying the little addition to our living space.

Here are a few progress pics.....

And, although it's not perfect and it's not quite completely finished, we LOVE it. And, we LOVE the fact that we saved around 9 G's doing the little (okay, not so little) project ourselves....

These pics were taken in between teaching, football season, winter months, and a track season. So, even though it took a while....I couldn't be prouder of the work Jason (and his Pops) put into it....


The day before we started the project....an overgrown mess of rose bushes and plants. NOT very usable or pretty.


The SMALL walking space we had....and the cool outdoor broom that we found in those bushes. Buyer's bonus! Ha! Please note that, in order to watch my kids enjoy their swing set...I'd have to sit on a stool with all the aphids. Did I mention that I'm not a bug lover?!?!?


Who wants to prune these guys?!?! NOT ME!


I know. You don't even have to say anything!!!!


And the dirty work begins....


Good-bye bushes and plants....


Good-bye weed fabric!!!!


Hello pavers...what was on sale, of course! Because, let's be honest...I'm not rich and have lots of other things to spend our hard working money on. Anyways, we've never been ones concerned with keeping up with the Joneses.


Re-working the retaining wall and the pinning in of the blocks....gotta be safe!


Moving the dirt around...and making sure all the roots from all those bushes are gone!


Ty getting the plan from her Daddy! I seriously LOVE this pic!!!!


Time to level it all out. Going from two tiers of dirt to one. 


Still re-configuring the blocks....


More digging in the dirt. 


BEST helper EVER!!!! She loved every minute of it...and was always asking to get dirty!


Getting rid of more roots and fabric....


Still more leveling!


I helped, too, believe it or not. Although, as Jason pointed out, digging in flip flops probably isn't the proof everyone needs.

After the dirt was leveled out, it all had to be tamped down...then the job of laying the sand and pavers began. There had to be an ever so slight decline so the rain would run off and away from the house....harder than it looks!!!


This is the progress that was made as Fall came to an end and Winter was about to begin. 


Sat like this through the winter....


Blocks were slowly piled up and stored away for the freezing temps....


Not too bad for weekend working!


Then, after it started to warm up, track ended, and school let out for summer, Jason got right back into it....


Finishing the end and leaving me with this semi-circle space for a little rock garden. A few small grass plants, solar lights, and edgers later....we are getting closer to being done!

And, I have to say we've been getting a heck of a lot more use out of it. Nothing's been better than being able to sit out on the patio and watch the kiddos and their friends play on the swing set or read a little book of my own. I may or may not even sneak out, after all the kiddos are tucked away in their beds for the night, and take it all in!!! My own little slice of peace and quiet!!!!


A view of the semi-finished project lit up at night.
And, I LOVE it!! 

Way to go, Babe!!! 

You did a wonderful job!!!!!!

((We still have steps and the deck edge to stain, build steps to finish off the back, and a little paving to do down on the ground to bring it all together. So, more pics are in the works!!!))

Woot-Woot!!!!




2 comments: