Capturing life's major moments and savoring all the precious little happenings in-between....
Background
Sunday, January 13, 2013
A Happy Mommy Heart....
Look simple enough, don't they?!?
These two little hats really tested me the other day, as all three of my children do everyday of this Mommy Journey I'm on.
These hats were made by Miss Tylee Jean at school...one for her and one for Trey.
Can't you just see the effort, creativity, and love pouring from each one of them? I sure can.
They were one of her many fun craft projects and I'm sure they took a while. She carefully, patiently, and thoughtfully took the time to make one for her Big Bro.
I can just see her bellied up to the table at school, with the markers. sequins, and glue in her cute little hand, thinking intensely about which color to put where. She even chose to write his name on his in red because, "..that's his favorite color." They are so Tylee.
Which is why, as I picked her up that day and saw how stinkin' excited she was to give Trey his "special" hat she had made him, I found myself a little scared.
Scared that her big, "I'm in 1st Grade", so cool brother just might not react the way she was expecting him to.
Scared that her HUGE smile might fade a little or her wondrous 4 year-old excitement might dwindle...
As I drove from the girls' school over to grab Trey, listening to her tell Tay all about the hat she made and how much she knew Trey would love it, I honestly contemplated telling him ahead of time and insisting that he react with surprise and not hurt her feelings. I just couldn't bare the thought of her thinking he didn't like it.....
(Please tell me you other Mommies out there have the same thoughts...I mean, after all, it is my job to raise my children with respect.)
On one hand, I wanted Tylee to get the response she had been hoping for and the one she deserved, but on the other hand, I didn't want to tell Trey how to respond, knowing that he's a little too old to still have to be told how to act. Surely I've modeled for him and guided him towards loving behavior....right?!?! I saw this as a possible opportunity to see how Trey would react to his sister's surprise....
Not 100% sure of what I should do...I headed into grab Trey, signed him out, and asked him about his day as we walked back to the car. I did not mention Tylee's hat.....
And, guess what?!?!
The second Trey opened the van door, Tylee yelled, "Surprise, Trey! Look what I made you at school today! It's your own hat...just like mine. I colored it all your favorite colors."
Smiling and holding my breath....the response from Trey was AMAZING....
"Cool. Thanks, Tylee! I love it. The colors are perfect."
As she handed him the hat and he put it on his head with a smile and made his way back to his seat to buckle up, I closed the van door, climbed into the driver's seat with the sweetest, single tear rolling down my cheek.
Their interaction was beautiful and GENUINE.
Which TOTALLY makes my mommy heart HAPPY.
(I know things won't always go down like this...but, for this little moment in time, everything was perfect. And, I did thank Trey later that night, as I tucked him into bed, for being such a great big bro and responding so supportively to her surprise. It meant a lot to his sister and it meant A TON to me.)
Labels:
Crafts,
Family,
Growing Up,
Respect,
Siblings,
Surprise,
Trey Jacob,
Tylee Jean
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment