Thanks in part to a great
post from my good friend, Marta Vee....we have started a family "Manner Marbles" Jar around the Weite House....
Marta definitely hit the nail on the head when she talked about it being our job, as parents and role models, to work hard, put forth our maximum effort, and TEACH and EXPECT our kids to treat others with respect. Everyone knows that parenthood isn't all bells and whistles and that, many times over and over, your children will test you and push you. Push you to the point where you think you're going to break and nothing sounds better than throwing in the towel....but, it's up to us to lead them towards being the kind of people who bring out the best in not only themselves, but everyone else around them.
Trey and Tylee are already LOVING the idea and are really embracing the use of kind, caring words and getting the chance to drop a marble of their color of choice into the family jar each time we catch them using kind words and/or actions. We have definitely had our fair share of "sassy pants" and "smart mouthing" around here over the past few months, so Jason and I are also LOVING the way the kiddos have been talking to one another already. It's not to say everything is going to be peachy all the time, but there's no losing in a situation like this.
So, here's to hearing lots and lots of marbles making their way into our jar.....
I am going to need to do this! Love this idea!
ReplyDeleteJulie, We are loving it too....nothing sounds better than my two little "angels" talking very politely to one another. I found the marble jar idea...now you let me know if you can find a way to make the manners stick over the next 18 years or so ;) Hope all is well...LOVE your new blog heading!!!
Deleteyay for marbles! I love this post and the fact that you have noticed a difference. Having three girls I was struggling with sassy pants so I am thankful to have something to keep them making the CHOICE to be kind. Miss you!
ReplyDelete